Friday, August 01, 2008

Is it 3 pm already?

A very wise person once told me that people who are perfectionists have messy houses because in their minds, if they can't do it really well, why bother? I'll accept that theory. That's one reason I have a messy house.

Reason number 2 is that years ago I diagnosed myself with ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder). I realize that some people require a Doctor or Psychiatrist to make such a diagnosis. Not me. Hey, as long as I'm not asking for medication or therapy of any kind, I can say I have whatever I want. Though I will say that our family physician kind of agreed with me when I brought it up. Mostly, after I described a typical day in my life.
I guess I'm writing this post because today feels like one of those days when I busted my butt all morning and when I look around it looks like I did nothing. Then I feel quite discouraged. By now you are all saying to yourself, "then why is she sitting here blogging instead of picking up?"
I have reasons for that too. Number 1 is that I'm doing it for all of you. If you are having a down day, you can look at my photos and say "at least I'm not as bad as her". Number 2 is that this is the first solid 20 minutes I have sat down all day and if I choose to sit at my computer and scarf a peanut butter sandwich while I do it, I will.
So.......back to the ADD. See, do you believe me now? I do everything in circles. Even writing. My brain just spins and spins all day long. I will start one project and all it takes is one little thing to throw me off and I am off doing another project. Do I EVER get anything completed? Yes, but it takes true dedication.
So I am a perfectionist with (self diagnosed) ADD. Is that enough reason to have a messy house? Hmmm, how 'bout if we throw in a set of triplet toddlers and a preschooler....just for fun. Not only does my brain spin but I feel like I should have a lazy susan glued to my butt most days. Except that would be really hard to walk.
I started compiling a list of all the things I did this morning but can't even remember what I did and its probably really boring anyway. So instead I'll show you what I didn't do.
Here is the kitchen and the front entrance to our house. I took the rug out and shook it then left it hanging on the deck rail. This area desperately needs vacuuming and shoe decluttering.
Here is the deck with hanging laundry and the towel I used to dry the kids after I bathed them in a plastic tote. They managed to find water and mud while playing outside this morning.

Here is the pile of wet diapers and clothes I took off of them before bathing them in the plastic tote. I will get to that in a second. Or our cats will think I made a bed just for them. Do you think the baby urine will keep them away?The next step will be tackling this. My project of the day is to try and get my clean laundry folded. Will it happen today? Most likely, no.

This is the living room.

This is the play room. Need I say more?

And my time is up as Gaby is crying in her crib. Guess my break is over.

No comments: