Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Hi, how are YOU?

Such a common saying isn't? How many times a day do you hear that? Of course the expected response is "I'm fine, how are you?" Cause people don't really want to know how you are feeling. Believe me if you say "actually, I feel like total crap" and start running down a list of your symptoms, unless they are your doctor or your mother, they will start looking for the nearest exit. And I'm guessing even doctors want to run and hide sometimes.
So why am I writing this post today? Because I am concerned about "my concern" for my health. If I added up all the hours spent trying to diagnose and cure myself....ok I don't really want to know. Let's just say, it's a lot. Is it too much? Should I just accept that this is who I am and live with it?

I am tired of searching for answers but I am also tired of being tired. And achy. And sick to my stomach. Most of you don't even know I've had these symptoms because I really try hard not to whine about it. Because I know it gets old. Believe me, I'm sick of it. I actually saw a rheumatologist last week for a 2nd visit to review the tests we did on my 1st visit. She had a stack of papers containing my lab results and explained each one to me. Then after the explanation she would say, "it was in the normal range". These tests were all things that I was very grateful to have come back normal, but the closer she got to the bottom of the stack the bigger the lump in my throat became.

This was really my last hope of explaining the aching and pain I've had throughout my body for the past 4-5 years. I've had many tests done and this was the second rheumatologist I'd seen. If she couldn't find anything, I was giving up. I would just have to deal with it and quit complaining.

Well there was one lab that came back abnormal and it was my Vitamin D level, which was low. I was sort of anticipating this because I have never been a milk drinker. I used to take Calcium supplements with D but I've not been doing it faithfully, mostly because I need to take them on a full stomach and usually only remember it when I haven't eaten in a while. And so it becomes a vicious cycle.
But, Vitamin D deficiency has been shown to cause some of the symptoms I am having. So I am truly hoping this is the answer. I won't know for a while because my level was low enough that I have to take a prescription once a week, for 8 weeks. Then I have to have my level tested again to see where we're at. She said I probably wouldn't notice a difference for several months.

I can deal with that because I am feeling a little bit better just knowing that there is something wrong with me. Not that I ever doubted that I was feeling pain, but a person does start to wonder just how much your mental status plays a key in your well being. I was starting to wonder if I was crazy. I also started worrying that the few people that did know about my symptoms either thought I was looking for attention (cause who doesn't want a good dose of pity, I don't), or that I was a hypochondriac.

The difference between a hypochondriac and me, is that they will read about diagnoses and try to make their symptoms fit, or even start to "believe" that they have these symptoms. Me, I actually make lists of my symptoms and really try to stay in tune with my body, then I start looking for things that relate to these symptoms.

Because even though it is your doctor's job to try and find out what is plaguing you, no one knows your body more than you do. Also, who has more time to invest in yourself than you?
I just wanted to pass along the advice to not give up. If you feel like something is wrong with your body, keep looking for answers. Since I was a little girl, it seems like I've always had something going on. I won't go into too much detail about that because, frankly, it's boring.
I think a lot of my problems come from genetics on both sides of my family. The women on both my Mom and my Dad's side seem to have had a lot of health issues. So I have a double whammy. Too bad they couldn't have canceled each other out. Or wait, maybe that would mean I wouldn't exist?

Last night, Lance said "why do you always have to have something wrong with you?" It's not like I solve one problem and start looking for the next. It's more like ok, this is one thing that's wrong, I still don't feel well, what else could it be? I need to know what the problem is so that I can fix it and then hope that I will feel better. I think I would enjoy my kids a lot more if I didn't feel so lousy. So we'll see what the Vitamin D does. I sincerely hope that is the answer.
Plus I'm all about staying ahead of the game. Early detection can really save your life. I believe that a person should be as proactive in their health as possible.

Everything that I have been diagnosed with has taken many years, many tests, and sometimes many doctors. Even though you think that a doctor should know everything, they don't. They are human too. So sometimes it doesn't hurt to see someone else just for a fresh perspective.
And I promise that if I ask you "how are you?" I really mean it. I don't mind listening to people talk about their health. I wouldn't be a very good nurse, or friend, if I did.




2 comments:

MaryBeth said...

Sorry you can't figure out what is ailing you... that must be terrible! Woe to the person who asks how I'm doing these days!! Four new baby teeth, four whiney, sick with colds girls, 2 new crib climbers, no sleep for days, and a back ache from moving all the furniture out of the girls' room by myself in the middle of the night... My answer would be like Alexander's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad, day... every day this week!!! HOpefully this too shall pass.

Dorinda said...

Are you feeling any better yet? I know it's early but maybe :)

Honestly all those symptoms can be attributed to having triplets. Kidding. You're so good to follow-up and try to find out what's wrong! Me, I just wait till I'm almost dead to go - too much work - too much brain energy. I'm content to wait 6 months to find out what's wrong and just pray I don't bleed to death in the meantime :)