Thursday, August 21, 2008

Ever made a batch of cookies......

.....and literally had to fight the urge to eat the whole batch? You haven't? Hmm, I wonder who I can blame that genetic defect on?

I have been on a mission to find a recipe for the perfect chocolate chip cookie. I am picky when it comes to my cookies. I like the taste of butter, verses shortening but I like them big and fat and chewy.

So I have been googling "fat chocolate chip cookies with butter" and I came across this recipe for the Best Big, Fat, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie.

I did have to tweak it a little bit because mine came out pretty flat, but still tasted very good. I usually have a problem with my cookies being flat. I don't know if it's the climate, or the altitude, or quite possibly the baker.
So I've learned from experience that when baking a new cookie recipe, I bake one cookie first to see how it turns out. Then I can tweak the recipe as I need to.

So to make mine look slightly similar to the cookies in the photo, I added an additional cup of flour and an extra 1/2 tsp. of baking soda.
Of course I had to taste the single cookie that I baked and it took two tries to get it right. Lucky for me the kids woke up from their nap and they helped me with the taste testing.
This is good news and bad news. The good news is I found a really great cookie recipe. The bad news is I have been trying to greatly reduce my sugar intake, because I've found that it exacerbates my aches and pains, and also makes my energy level plummet. I have been doing really well until my "search for the greatest cookie". Well, I guess now that I found it I will just have to file it away for special occasions or else "bake and take". Which means that I bake them and then take them over to someone else's house.

2 comments:

Evan, Mindy, Denver, and Makenna said...

You can "bake and take" to my house any day! Glad to hear you've been feeling better until the search for the best cookie!

MaryBeth said...

When do you find time to research, bake, test, etc?!? Ella would have been driving me crazy during the computer research portion at least!!!