Monday, April 21, 2008

Green Pancakes???

In an attempt to get my 3 year old to eat better I've come up with a few tricks:
The first, is food coloring. You can add it to most anything. I, of course, hope that it won't be added to the list of carcinogens in the future. I know there has been some attention paid to red dye #3 but I believe that was banned by the FDA. Since they are still making the same stuff in the same box that I ate as a kid, I feel safe feeding it to my children. Hmm....maybe that's what's wrong with me?Now it also comes in Neon and has a chart on the back to mix different colors. Fun!! Since Ashlyn is the picky eater at the moment, and the only one that can talk clearly, she gets to pick the color. So far we've tried green, blue, and purple pancakes. We've also had orange french toast. I'm sure there are many more options that I haven't yet tried. I don't want to get too carried away in case the babies stop eating because they don't recognise what is put in front of them.


I have a couple other tips that I don't have photos of:


The second tip is funky straws. There was a time that I was worried Ashlyn wasn't drinking enough fluids so I bought a pack of reusable crazy straws for a dollar. They were a huge hit and lasted quite a while. Since I am a recovered germ-a-phobe, I tossed them after a while because I was worried they weren't getting clean enough. Since then, I keep on hand a supply of colored bendable straws. They are disposable and I plan to keep a couple in my purse to use at restuarants where they are too cheap to supply bendable straws for kids drinks. If you've ever tried to get your small child to drink out of a milk carton or glass without a bendable straw, you know what I'm talking about.


The third tip is cutting things in shapes. I purchased a sandwich cutter after Valentines Day that is shaped like 2 hearts (it was really cheap). I have used this so many times. I use it for sandwiches and sometimes toast because it cuts the crust off (Ryan throws his crust on the floor) and also makes cute little hearts.


Also with the pancakes, Ashlyn loves her's made into Mickey Mouse and with sprinkles on top. I just pour one big round circle with 2 little circles attatched for ears. Then I add a few sprinkles before I flip it.


Any other picky eaters out there?? I could use a few more good tips.

5 comments:

Christie said...

Great ideas! I'll have to keep them in mind as my trio gets more picky. :) Thanks for your comment on my blog too! I had your blog listed in my favorites so I guess I've been a lurker on your blog. Has your picky one been eating better with the coloring?

Cadi + 4 said...

Yes, it does help to let her have something to choose. I think all kids go through this stage. She used to eat everything. I just know my 3 little ones will be doing the same eventually. Right now they must be growing because they can't seem to get enough.

Cadi

Dorinda said...

Cute ideas. Now if only I had time to actually make the pancake - somehow pouring food coloring on the Eggo Waffles is probably not a good idea...

Why oh why can't kids just eat what's put in front of them without a fight??!!

Thanks for the tips - I have none in this realm since well, I'm terrible about feeding so keep 'em coming!

Anonymous said...

I've used the sandwich shapes trick for years! My oldest is 10 now and has always been the pickiest of all. It worked like a charm on her. I use a big box of cookie cutters I've had forever and make all sorts of little shaped finger sandwiches. They especially love the cowboy hat, boot and cactus. Now my youngest insists her lunch always be presented as a face on a place. Good thing she likes cheese and turkey slices that can be sculpted into lots of shapes.

I'm also with you on the straws. I've been known to carry bendy straws, as we call them, too. Also condiment cups (like for ketchup at fast food places) and Dixie cups are always in my glove box for containing small snacks in little hands. When they get old enough not to injure themselves or others with them, toothpicks are a big hit as a fork replacement.

Lori (that cousin in Sioux Falls)

Cadi + 4 said...

Thanks Lori,
Great ideas!! I thought I was the only one with dixie cups in the glove box. Lance and I use them for our ketchup when we get fries to go. Those little packets you get from the drive through make such a mess. I'll have to remember to use them for snack holders too.

Cadi