Thursday, May 01, 2008

Out with the old....

....and in with the new. Yesterday Lance's cousin Mike started the glorious transformation of turning our old cement steps into a new deck.

Our old steps had only a rail on the very top level, and also were very steep and awkward. People were having a really tough time getting up them. Especially when they were covered in ice or snow, which seems to be 365 days of this year. I'm kicking myself right now for not taking a really good before photo. I thought I had one but its really far away and not very clear. So you'll just have to use your imagination.

Ashlyn has taken a couple of spills off the top but we have been lucky with the babies. They usually wait at the top for us to come and get them. Lately, though, they have been wanting to climb up and down them. Since they are way too dangerous, and we'd like to avoid trips to the ER with gaping head wounds, we are building a deck.

I researched the web and we decided to go with Geodeck composite decking. It seems to get good reviews and has a 25 year warranty. An added bonus is they sell it at the hardware store from where my dad makes deliveries.

Although I like the look of a wooden deck, I don't have time or the interest in dealing with the maintenance. Plus they seem to find a way to splinter and get stuck under my kids skin.

So stay tuned and you can see our progress. We are hoping to have it done by the end of the weekend. That is if it doesn't snow again. I'm not joking, it's actually in the forecast for tomorrow. To sum up my feelings in a polite manner.......Ugh!!

(Well, I have a few photos to post but, right now I'm tired of dealing with this blogity, blog, blogger that keeps telling me the page was lost when I try and upload photos. So I will try and post them later or tomorrow. Anyone else in blogger land having technical difficulties lately?

1 comment:

MaryBeth said...

Blogger troubles are nothing new around our blog. I never recovered that monstrously long post I lost about a week ago... had to re-do it. Usually the problems are gone by the next time I sit down to work on it again, though. Can't wait to see pictures of the new deck!