Tuesday, October 17, 2006

2 weeks and counting!!

There is an end in sight, or I guess you could say a beginning. We turned 32 weeks yesterday and saw the Perinatologist in Sioux Falls. He says because the babies appear to be growing well and are healthy we may be able to deliver at 34 weeks. This was a huge relief to both Lance and I because at this point I can barely walk and even getting out of bed is difficult. In 2 weeks, I can't even imagine what it will be like. Here are the weights of the babies:

Baby A - 4 lbs 14 oz (tech said it had a lot of hair on it's head. It is still head down)
Baby B - 4 lbs (flipped head up again)
Baby C- 4 lbs (head is still wedged against my Rt hip)

At the rate they have been growing they should be at least 5 lbs in 2 weeks. So right now we are scheduled for an amnio (they take a really long needle and insert it through my belly to take a sample of the amniotic fluid surrounding each baby) on Oct 31 to see if the lungs are mature. If they are, then we will do a c-section sometime that week (the first week in Nov). If they aren't mature I think we will have to wait another week.

We are just hoping that now since we have a plan, I won't go into labor before the 31st. So far I've still been having tons of contractions but my cervix is still holding up well. I have no doubt in my mind that the babies will be healthy and hopefully won't have to spend too much time in the hospital. We are being optimistic and hoping it will be only a couple of weeks. Before they can go home they need to be able to maintain their own tempurature, suck from a breast or bottle on a regular schedule, gain weight, have no infections, be off all medications except vitamins, and be off oxygen. I think that's it but there may be more. The kicks these babies give me remind me of when I was pregnant with Ashlyn, and she is still very strong for her size, so I know they are little fighters.

So please keep us in your thoughts these next 2 weeks as we count down days and watch the clock. I am getting a little nervous but Lance is nothing but excited. I'm not looking forward to having an amnio or surgery but it will be worth it to finally see our babies. We will let you know is anything changes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cadi! Gma and I check every day on you! The weights of the babies sound good (except for the weight YOU carry!) I can't imagine the tumbling match going on in your belly. Melissa liked the sound of music playing - she danced every time we went to church! And thus - so did my belly! Oh dear - belly dancing in church! I can't imagine how anxious you are to see these little ones. You will be in our thoughts and prayers the next two weeks that all goes well for you and the babies - and also Lance and Ashlyn as they stand by. We love you all! Gma and Deb