Friday, February 29, 2008

Vampire on the loose.


Our youngest and smallest child has developed a crude way of defending herself. She also uses this technique to prevent predators from stealing her prey. Sometimes she just does it out of pure joy. Brooke was the first to get teeth, has the most teeth, and uses them frequently.

Ryan will bite on occasion but mostly I see him go in for the kill, then his conscience takes over, and he turns to me for help instead. My son has developed empathy.


I have never seen Gaby even attempt to bite, at least not a human. Walls are a different story. "Gee, I don't know how my kid could have gotten lead poisoning?". She didn't care much for the taste and stopped after 3 bites. I would welcome any advice to curb Brooke's bad habit. Both Gaby and Ryan are peppered with the bite marks. If we catch her in the act, we tap her on the mouth and firmly say, "No biting". Most times though we don't actually see her do it. We just find one of the others screaming in pain. The other day, I actually punished Gaby by putting her in her crib after she wouldn't stop screaming for quite a long time (I was trying to comfort her but she was just plain angry). Then I undressed her for her bath and found 3 fresh bite marks on her back. I had thought she was just throwing a tantrum because Brooke took her toy.



1 comment:

MaryBeth said...

We had a house full of biters for a short while, and when I started biting back if I caught them in the act, it stopped. We still occasionally have a bite here and there.. especially when new teeth are about to arrive, but for the most part we are now a "vampire free zone"!